I have not had anything worthy of posing in a while, plus I’ve been a little busy over the past few months. A couple of things worth writing about.
Over the holidays I picked up a Baofeng UV-200 (supposedly a newer model to the uv-3). It is a fine HT for less than $50, but it suffers for the same 2nd harmonic issue that the other models have. In doing some research it seems that this could be easily remedied with the addition of a capacitor to modify the low pass filter (documented in the uv-3 yahoo group). There is also a slight delay on RX due to a delay with the DSP in the unit. It does close to 2w depending on where you are in the band. Overall a good buy for a cheep/spare HT.
I picked up a Yaesu ft-857d (and a z-100 plus tuner) and added it to the shack. So now I am trying to get use to a radio manufactured this century for HF work(not as many buttons, but a lot more menus compared to my TS-850s). I am also looking forward to doing digital SSTV once I get easypal working. I also plan to use the 857 portable and might take it out on field day.
- Just realized why I'm only on HF during contests. I expect bad behavior during contests, and not during casual QSOs. Thanks for the QRM... =LINK=, Aug 10
- No trip to Dayton this year.. Maybe next year. #hamvention =LINK=, May 19
- RT @N4GN: So long, Dayton #Hamvention. See you again next year! =LINK=, May 19
- How about that, by5cd to finish the contest. 73 #hamr =LINK=, Nov 25
- Smells like the ts-850 let the magic smoke out.. maybe a ts-590 for christmas. #hamr =LINK=, Nov 24
- cq 10m. Easter Island, Azores with a tin can and a string! =LINK=, Nov 6
- A lot of good DX on 10 meters. Couldn't ask for better band conditions for the contest. #hamr #hamradio =LINK=, Oct 28
- 9Y4LDK through the pile up with 100w and a g5rv, not bad. =LINK=, Aug 19
- @wm8c I enjoy cw too, but wish I was better on the receiving. #hamr =LINK=, Jan 21
- Added a few new countries on 10M today. Band surprisingly good today! #hamr =LINK=, Dec 10
APRS.fi Call Sign Lookup